Thursday, January 11, 2018

100 things part 52--sense of adventure

Here recently in the last few months I have realized that I am a lot closer to many of the places I've wanted to travel to for so long.

 For most people, when they talk or talked about going somewhere they just did it. In my youth, I remember hearing about my friends traveling off to places, different states and different countries, going on cruises and such. As for me I won't say I've never been ANYWHERE...as a matter of fact, if I had to name all the states I've been to, it would probably look something like this:


So I haven't been to a LOT of places but, I think I'm getting there. I just recently added NY and NJ to the list as of this weekend actually!

I've become fascinated with local travel. Living in the city has definitely opened my eyes to how easy it is to hop on buses and trains. When I first moved here, the idea of taking a bus and a train to work was actually a little scary. Now I love it! I love that I can go pretty much anywhere on a bus/train.

Where I grew up, there were no buses/trains that could take you into the city. As I said before, we lived in the country--it was a good 8 mile drive to get into "town" and then another 5 miles from there to get to decent shopping. Everywhere I worked was forever a mile away when I lived in Suffolk. When I moved from Suffolk to Newport News it was a small culture shock just being near a store without having to go 15 miles to get there. So just imagine my face when I moved to Northern VA and wandered into Washington, D.C. Talk about culture shock!

In any case, I have enjoyed experiencing my environment as well as other environments. With my family being down to one car, getting around on public transportation has been a must. Also, traveling on bus to other locations such as back to Norfolk and most recently up to New York City is so cheap and convenient.

My mother was worried of course when I said I was going to hop on a Greyhound bus. I mean, I suppose they don't have the best reputation but hey, for 20 bucks, I can get back to Norfolk. I'm all about cheap, and as long as I don't die I'm alright!

What actually scared me most about moving up here wasn't the buses or the trains, it was Uber. Hopping into someone's car and having them drive you somewhere. That actually made me the most nervous. But boy am I glad they exist. Between the NYC cabs and the Uber, I'll take the Uber!

In any case, what I've learned thus far is like most things in life if you want to do something just do it! I have lived so long just making excuses for not going to this place or that place and I am ready to get out and see the world. So do yourself a favor--get out and go somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment