Wednesday, December 20, 2017

100 things part 32--Being Mama K


You know, the story of the actual name Mama K eludes me for some reason. I feel like it happened somewhere at work over the last few years.

What I can remember is my boss and best friend Dave saying "Mama K" really loudly and I remember thinking, nah--I got my own kids at home. These little hellions ain't my children!

Or maybe I said that out loud...

In any case, you could ask anyone how the name came about and they'll all tell you a different story. But I know for a fact that I've been Mama K for quite sometime. I think it goes back to somewhere around when I was pregnant with my daughter

Now this is definitely my theatre name. And I've had quite a few. Strangely most of them given to me by Dave. But nevertheless here I stand, Mama K.

I love taking care of my theatre family. But I think I became Mama K because of my many years of knowledge at the opera. At least that's what I think. Also for the way I talk to people sometimes I suppose. Ask Faraji, he'll tell you about Mama K's gentle voice. The way I taught my staff was more or less mama-like. Not to mention all the times I fixed all the boo-boos...I'm pretty handy with some gauze I tell you.

The most important thing to me about being Mama K, is that it's a sign of respect--which I didn't notice at first. I actually was offended. But when I look back at all the times where someone called me Mama K or I had to go "Mama K" someone, it was because I was trusted and respected. Now I'm Mama K everywhere I go and I feel so humbled every time someone calls me that.

I am very proud to be Mama K and I hope it stays with me forever.

1 comment:

  1. I'll always be honored to have been able to work with you, Mama K!!! The opera isn't the same without you. You gave me a chance when I didn't think anyone who hire this gimp in recovery - but I am forever grateful. ��Katie

    ReplyDelete